Made this just for fun the day after custom rom PICOpad GEA model, but been bugging with wifi issue cannot turn on, so I have to delay sharing and wait for some free time to debug. Today, with some good cold beer and couple of nice jazz musics, the wifi problem were fixed. Add also another nice tweak to optimize performance and battery consumption.
This GFI model had a dual core ARM Cortex A9 at 1GHz MTK6577, 512Mb mem, and internal storage 2.5Gb.
Let's begin, this rom cooked with dsixda kitchen rom and here is the ingredients :
- 6 rows x 4 columns 200 dpi lcd density (most comfortable for me, not too tiny for my old eyes)
- sysctl tweak for increasing internet network performance (basically it’s a common network ip4 tweak from klixs, but it is working good on my galaxy nexus custom rom)
- some battery performance tweak (forgot where i get this from, only copy pasteing from my tomboy, sorry)
- some dalvikvm performance tweak (forgot too where i get this from, sorry)
- some gps performance tweak (from here)
- rooted with su, busybox, and Superuser.apk included (from here)
- no more GOlauncher (I really hate this bloated apps, everytime i see this on somebody phone, my fingers wants to type rm /system/app/GO*.* 😀 )
- some custom artwork
- deodexed apps and framework from stock rom
And here we go the custom ROM :
MD5 : 9726ed1812d62f5c506ebc43ad64d016
Just get some info from the user comment, … apparently there also some various variant of this GFI models with a different type of WLAN and Bluetooth device … sigh. So, before continuing, please check your Software version under Settings -> About page. If the Software Build number indicated as PICOpad GFI 20121027, then you CANNOT use this custom ROM !! This custom ROM only works on device with software version 20121026 or before. I’ll create the new one as soon as I’ve got the new sample device.
Done! For user on device with software build number 20121027, can get the JellyBean custom ROM here.
And here is the steps to flash this custom rom to your axioo picopad GFI :
Requirement and Preparation :
- Read this thoroughly :
Your warranty is now void !!!
I am not responsible if you brick your phone, get stuck in a bootloop, or if your phone grows arms and tries to kill you. Flash at your own risk!
Please do some research if you have any concerns about risk of flashing a custom rom before continuing! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you!!
If you have any other objection, don’t bother to comment, just close this page!
- This custom ROM is not for noobs, it is not for faint hearted, because in this article I will not explain how to get CWM recovery for your picopad GFI. The process and tools how to get cwm recovery is somewhat winblows centric, and i don’t like either to discuss nor explain, so you must find yourself a way how to get those CWM to your device. At least, I can show you the way, here is the path to go there : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1825722 Thanks to master yuweng and master shifu dsidxa … hahaha
Flashing Process :
The steps to flash this custom rom is pretty straight forward :
- Download the custom rom from link above and copy it to the root of your sdcard, you may check it first with your file manager to confirm it was there. There are two sdcard storage on picopad GFI so you must know it’s at the internal sdcard or external sdcard.
- Boot into clockworkmod CWM recovery mode by turning off your phone, hold down Volume + button then press power button, hold them both until you see axioo logo appear then release it. Wait a sec or two … then you’re now in cwm recovery mode, you can navigate it through the menu using volume + and – button, and to executing the highlight menu you can press power button.
- BACKUP your stock rom and data using nandroid backup first !!!
- Choose Wipe Data / Factory reset and execute it
- Choose Wipe cache partition and execute it
- Go to Advanced menu, choose Wipe Dalvik Cache and execute it
- Go back to main menu, and choose Install Recovery from sdcard menu and execute it
- If you were put the custom rom on the internal sdcard, then choose Install from internal sdcard, otherwise choose Install from external sdcard. Navigate to the custom rom location and execute it. There will be a confirmation once again, and of course choose Yes.
- After the installation completed, go back to main menu and choose Reboot System Now
Here is the result after flash :
Enjoy your axioo PICOpad GFI.