While still held the device for couple of days more, i’ve create this coloros rom also for this model after the xperia rom. For you who don’t know this ColorOS rom, this rom is a stock rom from Oppo, it has a beautiful interface, very well organized apps, widgets and settings panel, and I think you should give it a try. The rom is pretty big in size, maybe because of the nice ui but the performance is quite fast even on this dual core mtk6572 cpu.
Another thing, i already explain this on my xperia rom article, but i have to explain also here, I’ve got a borrowed GDF device with a broken back camera, so i cannot test it whether is working or not. However, i’m using the library camera module from the stock rom for safe and the output debug logcat throws no errors at all, so i can assume the back camera will work good. Ok, let’s get started :
- Android 4.2.1 with 3.4.5 kernel
- Rooted, busybox, partly deodexed, zipaligned
- init.d support
- gps, bt, hsdpa tweak
- multi languages
- Superuser by Clockworkmod (thanks to Koush)
- ColorOS 1.0.0i rom base (thanks to Oppo Team)
- … something I forgot to list
Here we go the custom rom :
Custom ROM :
MD5 : 005c8fcb271e9ae608d95786f68f57c3
Like I already said earlier, this rom is big, and there is not enough room to include the Google addons apps like Google+, Youtube, etc on the system partition. This addons apps is not mandatory for common users, but since I integrate also the Google Now over the OS Launcher then maybe you should install this addons too to get a full system. Flash this addons after you flash the custom rom, and don’t worry about the footprints, all the google addons apps will occupy the data partition so you can easily uninstall it later in case you never need it.
Addons : signed_gdf-coloros-addons-170314.zip
MD5 : 7b5074bb56ba9d324b88e21f2cc0ce3a
Known issues :
Video Recording issue
Video recording is not working. Taking picture is ok and flawless, but when you choose video record, the camera will force closing. I cannot fix this 🙁 It looks like some vcodec library is missing from the base port rom i took, idk, it’s so damn hard to solve and I raise my hand.
So, for you who really need video recording on this device, forget this custom rom, ok?
Maybe someday I will take a look again on this issue, but since I have to send back the device to the owner right now, then I release it as it is. In the mean time, perhaps some hackers among us could solve this and willing to share the fix, I would really happy to hear it.
And here is the steps to flash this custom rom :
Requirement and Preparation :
- Read this thoroughly : Your warranty is now void !!! I am not responsible if you brick your phone, get stuck in a bootloop, or if your phone grows arms and tries to kill you. Flash at your own risk! Please do some research if you have any concerns about risk of flashing a custom rom before continuing! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you!! If you have any other objection, don’t bother to comment, just close this page!
- This custom rom need a custom recovery to flashed into the device, if you haven’t got it, get it here : cwm recovery for PICOphone4 GDF.
Flashing Process :
The steps to flash this custom rom is pretty straight forward :
- Download the custom rom and addons-apks from link above and copy it to the root of your sdcard, you may check it first with your file manager to confirm it was there. There are two sdcard storage on this device, so you must know it’s at the internal sdcard or external sdcard. I prefer you to put this on external sdcard to avoid any difficulties.
- Boot into recovery mode by turning off your phone, hold down Volume + button then press power button, hold them both until you see Boot Mode menu, then release it. There will be 3 Boot Mode available on the list : Recovery, FastBoot and Normal Mode. Choose with Volume Up button to point to Recovery Mode and Select it with Volume Down button to enter Recovery Mode.
- BACKUP your stock rom and data using BACKUP feature, make sure you use external storage as destination because this backup is relatively big.
- Choose Wipe Data / Factory reset and execute it.
- Choose Wipe cache partition and execute it
- Choose Wipe Dalvik Cache and execute it
- Go back to main menu, and choose Install
- It will open a list of file on your sdcard, choose the custom rom zip file that you put on step 1 and flash it.
- After the ROM installation completed, choose back if you want to install the addons-apks
- Choose Install again and point to the addons-apks zip file you put on step 1 and install it
- After the installation completed, choose Reboot System
Here is the result after flash :
Enjoy your PICOphone4 GDF