custom rom 4.2.1 ColorOS for PICOpad GDS
This ColorOS is a stock os from Oppo N1device, The look, the launcher, widget, animation and icons is very well touched up and had a slick design.
OMG 😮 it’s huge … 3 things certain in life : Death, Tax and Software Bloat. This ColorOS is a great example 🙂 Using this ColorOS is somewhat like using Unity after years using xfce … LOL. Nevertheless, this is one of the most beautiful android rom I have ever seen. This ColorOS is a stock os from Oppo N1device, The look, the launcher, widget, animation and icons is very well touched up and had a slick design. It also has a nice gesture interaction feature that makes your device more intuitive and easy to use. See and prove yourself. Eventually, I’ve got this information about this ColorOS from Omar and one of this blog subscriber initiald, they refering to this xda-page and asking help to porting it to gds device. I have some free time over the weekend, and here is the result I’d like to share :
- Android 4.2.1 with 3.4.5 kernel
- Rooted, busybox, fully deodexed, zipaligned
- init.d support
- gps, bt, hsdpa tweak
- multi languages
- everything works
- many hw v-codec, including h264x for 1k to 4k video playback
- no need to resize system partition, it’s compatible with all my custom roms here and axioo’s stock rom.
- Superuser by Clockworkmod (thanks to Koush)
- ColorOS 1.0.0i rom base (thanks to deepak2111)
- … something I forgot to list
Here we go the custom rom :
Custom ROM :
Download : PICOpad_GDS_ColorOS_signed_022014_144301.zip
Mirror : PICOpad_GDS_ColorOS_signed_022014_144301.zip
MD5 : cf86ceabc02f0d190261e8a268fa3460
Here below some addons apks from the original base rom, flash this after you flash the custom rom above if you want. I believe this apps is not mandatory for most users. I want to delete this bloated apps at first, but had a second thought, so I separate this into addons. It contains some oppo-userguide, some oppo-security apps, some weather widget, emoticons, and some oppo-utility … etc, etc. Don’t worry about the footprints, the script will not install this bunch of apks into the system partitions, it will reside data partitions so you can easily uninstall them in case you never need it.
Addons : signed_gds-coloros-addons-190214.zip
MD5 : 3a071578b88675b3b820d1247a367354
EDIT 250214 :
Known issues :
Camera has stopped issue
This Oppo framework had some nifty features which one of it can detect language and country region which you are in from the simcard provider automatically during initial installation setup wizard. But this feature also brings another problem because the camera will force close unexpectedly if you are using any country region other than United States. So, if your camera cannot open and throws an error “Unfortunately camera has stopped” please make sure you go to Settings -> Language and Inputs, and make sure you choose United States as your Region.
It’s not about the language you use, it’s about the region. Maybe this Oppo framework had some country region classification or something like that.
This trick found by Ricky Antonius from picophone x user group on fb, thanks a lot Ricky !!
And here is the steps to flash this custom rom :
Requirement and Preparation :
- Read this thoroughly : Your warranty is now void !!! I am not responsible if you brick your phone, get stuck in a bootloop, or if your phone grows arms and tries to kill you. Flash at your own risk! Please do some research if you have any concerns about risk of flashing a custom rom before continuing! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you!! If you have any other objection, don’t bother to comment, just close this page!
- This custom rom need a custom recovery to flashed into the device, if you haven’t got it, get it here : cwm and twrp recovery for PICOpad GDS. Both are working good for this device, get it whichever you like.
Flashing Process :
The steps to flash this custom rom is pretty straight forward :
- Download the custom rom and addons-apks from link above and copy it to the root of your sdcard, you may check it first with your file manager to confirm it was there. There are two sdcard storage on this device, so you must know it’s at the internal sdcard or external sdcard. I prefer you to put this on external sdcard to avoid any difficulties.
- Boot into recovery mode by turning off your phone, hold down Volume + button then press power button, hold them both until you see axioo logo on screen then release it. Wait a sec or two … then you’ll be in recovery mode.
- BACKUP your stock rom and data using BACKUP feature, make sure you use external storage as destination because this backup is relatively big.
- Choose Wipe Data / Factory reset and execute it.
- Choose Wipe cache partition and execute it
- Choose Wipe Dalvik Cache and execute it
- Go back to main menu, and choose Install
- It will open a list of file on your sdcard, choose the custom rom zip file that you put on step 1 and flash it.
- After the ROM installation completed, choose back if you want to install the addons-apks
- Choose Install again and point to the addons-apks zip file you put on step 1 and install it
- After the installation completed, choose Reboot System
Here is the result after flash :
Some other notes from me :
Do Not install Xposed Framework !
The Xposed framework is NOT compatible with this oppo framework and will causing bootloop. According to the creator of the framework there are no fix for this issue, you can read the rest here. If you ask me, I don’t think you need to customize again, it’s already pretty. 🙂
JB 4.3 Camera
If you want to use the camera from stock jb 4.3, here we go :
Download : signed_camera-4.3-update.zip
Flash it like you just did with the custom rom, go to recovery mode, select install, choose the zip file and reboot after done. After install this update.zip, you’ll have 2 camera apps and 2 gallery apps.
Enjoy your PICOpad GDS